|Home  Coastal Heritage  Coastlines Magazine  Nature and Wildlife  Research Sefton Coast Partnership  Shoreline Management  Students and Teachers  Visiting the Coast
Visiting the Coast
AinsdaleAinsdale Beach has been listed as one of the top ten beaches in the UK. Close by the excellent new Discovery Centre is ideal for youngsters (and mum and dad too!) to find out more about the local coastal flora and fauna.
1. Birkdale Sandhills Local Nature Reserve
2. Sands Lake PA pleasant area for accessing Birkdale Local Nature Reserve with a new boardwalk around the lake allowing for easy access. A jetty provides a feeding area for the birds that congregate on the lake.
3. Ainsdale Beach P TA quieter beach than Southport which provides visitors with a view of the start to Sefton’s sand dune system. A popular starting point for those who wish to explore the remoter areas of the coast.
4. Ainsdale Discovery Centre PCome and visit the centre for a informative displays and interpretation about local facilities, wildlife and history.
5. Ainsdale Sandhills Local Nature ReserveThe LNR is an excellent example of open dune habitat with mobile dunes and wet slacks.
6. Ainsdale Sand Dunes National Nature ReserveA peaceful nature reserve, which is home to some of the best sand dune wildlife in Britain. The pine woodland also supports a healthy population of red squirrels. Several pathways go through the site, the main hard path is suitable for disabled and cycling (by permit) (tel: 01704 578774).
P Parking avaiable